Sunday, March 8, 2009

My weekend

My wife and I took a road trip this past weekend to Erie for a much needed break from our hectic schedules. Although we were heading in a direction that we most likely wouldn't be going if we had to evacuate, I still tried to imagine What this major interstate would look like like with thousands of vehicles streaming out of the city heading for wherever. Within this snarling mess of vehicles, there's bound to be fender benders, mechanical breakdowns, flat tires, and the list could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.



Now whenever there is something happening along the roadway in terms of accidents and such, alot of people, and you can even include me in this, slow down to rubberneck and by doing this causes the cars behind to slow down,etc,etc. Now what if the vehicles involved in this mess can't be moved ? Forget about calling a tow truck. Are people going to get out to help the disabled motorists? I doubt it. So now we have blocked lanes and a panicked mob not moving. I guess you could compare it to trying to leave a stadium parking lot after a game with nobody wanting to let another car in front of them. I know I get frustrated pretty easy when I encounter a**hole drivers and would like to drag them out of their car for a good beating.



Now let's arm these people and see what happens to our traffic jam. I don't know about you , but I want know parts of anything to do with that mess. It could possibly end up looking like the highway between Kuwait City and Baghdad that we saw on tv during the first gulf war, burnt bodies and vehicles. This scene could happen on any roadway, not just an interstate.

2 comments:

  1. that was my planned bug out location, during the TMI(three mile island)crisis. it was upwind, whereas home base was downwind. the "highway of death" is an all too real possibility. you'd have to be ready to leave on a whim, way ahead of the crowd, to reduce your chances of being trapped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary to even think about...I would not want to be part of that....
    God Bless from the Hill's of West Virginia
    Santa

    ReplyDelete