Thursday, June 25, 2009

Escape from New York

My wife and I are going to NYC tomorrow on a bus for a 24 hour shopping spree ( her idea not mine). I have been putting alot of thought as to what to take on our trip that would help us in a SHTF scenario.

We are taking a tour bus so anything we bring will have to be carried in a backpack that cannot be so big that it would draw unwanted attention, or too small to be of any practical use.

Maps of the city and a Pa state map are definitely must haves along with a flashlight, small first aid kit, bottled water, compass ,and other necessities that I'm sure most of us could agree on.

My biggest concern is weapons. What would I be able to carry on me in the city that would be legal to have? I don't have a concealed weapons permit, not that it would be valid in NYC if I did, so firearms are out. Knives would work, but I can't get too carried away here and try to walk around Times Square with a 14" bowie knife strapped to my belt. I have a 6" folding buck knife that I'll have on me at all times, but I do want to have something else with me that will be able to stop or at least delay an attacker. Maybe one of those ASP expandable batons neatly tucked away into the backpack would do the job. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

2 comments:

  1. the survival spot blog (and many others) has a link to the hannity/fox news story about "urban survivalists". the picture shows "tents & trails" outdoor store in nyc. maybe they'd be worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a good walking stick / cane makes a good weapon and the law hasn't yet figured out how to ban the use of one ( not even on airplanes )and someone using one does not stick out in a crowd not even in any city

    ReplyDelete